poetry and old-time music
Poetry: Books, readings, teaching. Books include Mytheria (Two Sylvias Press, 2017); The Cupboard Artist (Floating Bridge Press, 2012); Now (Bear Star Press 2007); and By A Thread (Van West & Company, 2000). Also Exercises to Free the Tongue, art and poetry collaboration with Ellen Ziegler, featuring poems and archival photos about my grandparents’ lives as ventriloquists on the vaudeville stage.
- Visit my Bandcamp page to download music or order recordings.
- Check out some banjo tunes on my You Tube Channel.
- Need clawhammer banjo lessons? Online or in person, depending on how the pandemic is going. Contact me for more details.
- American Banjo Camp, September 8 – 11, 2022, Port Orchard, Washington. Workshops, classes, all banjo, all the time, old-time and bluegrass styles.
- New poem, “What Have You Not Done Yet?” up at The Shore.
- Read “There Will Be Beauty” at DMQ Review.
- Read “Sounds Heard from Inside the Ashes Box” at The Cortland Review.
- Check out Exercises to Free the Tongue: poems and text by Molly Tenenbaum, artist’s book by Ellen Ziegler, printing and binding by Paper Hammer. Illuminated with historic images and ephemera from Molly’s grandparents, ventriloquists on the vaudeville circuit in the early 1900s, this book of poems plays with ventriloquial metaphors of voice and breath. A long time in the works, this is a book to celebrate.The artist’s book is printed in a limited edition of 20 copies; a less limited spiral-bound edition is also available, and you can even buy it at the store. 5” x 13”, 42 pages. Click here to see more poems and pages from the book.
- Click here for information about my lessons and teaching philosophy.